A little bit of history
When Edinburgh Corporation took the decision to do away with trams a large intake of new buses was needed to replace them. Bus 480 is one of 300 more or less identical Leylands which entered service from 1954-1957.
They didn’t find favour with one councillor who famously described them as ‘monstrous masses of shivering tin.’ However, they were to be the mainstay of the bus scene in Edinburgh for the latter part of the 1950s and throughout the 1960s. All had long service lives, one of 480’s brothers, 482, lasting in front line service for over 21 years, so they can’t have been all that bad! 480 became a driver training bus when withdrawn from normal service from Longstone garage.